Friday, February 04, 2005

Reflections Part 1: It was 6 years ago today...



Well, it's February and another year goes on. 6 years ago, in 1999. I flew to England for my first and only visit so far in life. I left the 2nd out of San Francisco and landed sometime on the 3rd in London. One continuous flight on a 747. I flew to meet my then sort-of-girlfriend Kristen. She was attending school up in north of London at Keele University. She met me at the airport and I had a nice $9 meal at Burger King.

The next morning we broke out to Liverpool by rail. I had gotten all the way out to England and I was dying to see some Beatle stuff. So we took the long train ride up there. I guess it was typical weather, cold damp and foggy. I was amazed that there was so much graffiti along the railway. I remember the rail guy pushing the cart full of candy bars on this ride and he asking me if "I was alright?" I felt puzzled because I felt fine. Did I look out of place because I was an American or something? Kristen then informed me that he was offering me a some candy. I wish I spoke English better.

Anyhow we got up to Liverpool and emptied out into some mall from the train. We found some Beatle stuff to do. We visited a Beatle Museum. It was cool but sheesh how touristy. I took photos when I wasn't supposed to.... oops. So for the most part, I was uninspired. Really bland like the food in England. Just a damp dreary day.

*

Then we discovered this. A tour to end all tours! This bus drove around Liverpool where they showed you the 4's houses, there schools, Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, The Fish and Chips place they'd all hung at. And the dude in the purple shirt in the photo was our guide and was a childhood friend of Ringo. How about that? A Liverpool Tour by a Liverpudlian.

And this was the part of my "planned" 10 day British Vacation where I got the "itch". (You'll learn what I am talking about, keep reading!) I was looking for the perfect spot and it was only my first day! We got out at Penny Lane. Was this the spot.... No! Strawberry Fields? Was this the spot, in all it's beauty and graffiti? Uh... no... too embarassing. At Paul's childhood home? Why no... John's... no not there either!

But the tour was perfect to do this "thing" at? Where could I do "it"? The tour was coming to the end. Yes, the Cavern Club, where it all began. The Beatles in the early days played night after night in the Cavern Club and it was the beginning of their career as it should be the beginning of "ours". The amazing thing I must say about this place is that it is small!!! You enter and go down this spiral stair case to the basement. On the wall of this staircase, is an incredible painting. A collage of Beatle moments from the beginning at the bottom of the stairs to the end at the top. A career in two stories, sweet.

But I couldn't do "it" there.... Too nervous and scared.

Alas, the tour ended and I failed. I needed a beer. The picture at the top of this is a statue above the bar directly across the street from the Cavern Club. The guide told us to go in there and have a pint. So we did. We walk in and the place is empty. Kristen and I went to the back and sat in a booth. Above this booth were some musical instruments. A drum set, a bass that looked vaguely familiar, a 12 string Rickenbacker guitar and a Rhythm guitar. These were donated by the Beatles. It was there under these famous music makers and a couple chugs of some cool Guiness, 6 years ago today, I asked Kristen to marry me. She said yes of course.... After she phoned her parents! Sheesh, she left me hanging and ran to a phone and dialed out at like 5 bucks a minute to wake her parents and tell them the news. They already knew of course. I had asked them, (actually I told them) before hand. I serious meant to ask them first... oh well it worked out in the end. I think Kristen was more impressed that they knew first. She did say yes after the call.

We boarded the commuter train and were separated back to Keele. She stared at me smiling all the way across the train.

No comments: