Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Observations Part 9: Beer Sampling with the Stomach Flu


The Seven Dwarf's of the Oak Creek Brewery, Sedona, Arizona

My wife and I had planned a trip for our 5 year anniversary. We decided to venture out for an early spring visit to the desert of Arizona. Our prime destination was Sedona. A peaceful city in the high desert, red rocks country of Central Arizona. What Sedona is known for is its majestic views of red rocks and towering red mesas that surround the city. I for one, think it's one of the most visually stunning places I have ever been. See my photos here.

Unfortunately on the eve of our majestic trip I came down with one of the worst stomach flu of my 31 year existence. I wouldn't wish this evil little virus on anyone I know, my enemies, or the DNC for that matter.

After "burning the candle at both ends" for 12 hours, I got well enough to fly out on Friday. Still I ran a fever and was sick for a couple more days but I was enjoying my trip. We visited the historic copper mining town of Jerome that was built over a mile high on a mountain top. Did some walks and watched some TV while relaxing in our comfortable room at the Southwest Inn.

Saturday evening came and I felt great. I was still a little sour in the gut but man, I was a new man. We had done bit more exploring, had a great lunch and relaxed all day. So that evening we went to a brewery, the Oak Creek Brewery in Sedona. This place came highly recommended. And heck, it was a brewery what could possibly go wrong. Good food, good company and of course, good microbrewed beer. And now the most painful story ever told...

Well what could go wrong, almost did... Let's just say I almost became a religious man this evening. You see I ordered some pretzels and a light salad with the Seven Dwarf Sampler, which was comprised of 7 little 5 ounce glasses of Oak Creek's finest brews. What a deal for 7 bucks! I started eating, and drinking and goofing off with the digital camera, taking pictures as each beer emptied. I took pictures of the sunset and my wife, Kristen, enjoyed her Raspberry Long Island's. I started light with my beer and was heading down the row to the darkest, the porter. Midway through the second glass my stomach rumbled. Thinking nothing of it, other than I hadn't eaten much the last couple of days, I continued on. Then it rumbled and well, I had a bit of gas this time. Ok... maybe more than a bit, but the restaurant was loud, so heck, who could hear? As I set down my camera and proceeded to the third beer, the pain started. Not a subtle pain but a wicked, sharp pain. Thinking nothing of it, I pressed on. I mean they were only 5 ounce beers. My wife asked me if I was ok, as the sweat was clearly pouring off my pale brow. Fine... I nodded as I pressed on. Clearing the third, and clearly with an intestinal indigestion that needed to be addressed promptly, I snapped the picture of the empty glass and proceeded to the 4th beer, the Oak Creek Amber Ale. This beer is great!! More golden than red but definately a quality red ale. Highly recommend this beer. Midway through the glass though, I suffered what I presume was the equivilant of severe menstrual cramps, but I am a dude, so I couldn't know for sure. Sweating and sweltering in my now, brewing storm, I decided a break outside was in order. I excused myself to my wife and ran outside. While outside during my lap around the parking lot, the relief I so desired and seeked was nowhere to be found. In panic, I ran into the restaurant and made a bee line to the restroom. Thanking God, for first making it there and then being the ONLY person in the restroom, I found my porcelin thrown and showed the seat it's maker. The whole time I thought about the movie American Pie. Feeling relief, I went back to eat and drink. Finishing the 4th and moving quickly through the 5th, the cycle began again. This time ever-more painful. With a trembling hand setting down my camera, I moved to the 6th... the brown ale. My wife at this time, had never seen this shade of white or had seen me this feeble. I was dying in front of her but determined to not be a wimp. From what I remember the brown ale was my second favorite. It tasted like the Downtown Brown Ale from the Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka, CA. Very zesty and bold. At this point I realized, the bus boy and the waitress knew of my agony. You see, I passed the bus boy on the way out of the restroom, the first time and pushed him aside as I made my trek back. At this point, my wife had already insisted on and paid the check. She was quite angry but the seventh dwarf, the porter, waited for me. I am not as much of a porter guy as I am a stout guy. This one was GREAT!! The Pullman's Porter. Man, I was half dead and somehow lost part of my large intestine in this restaurant but this beer was one to remember. I conquered the Seven Dwarf's. On the way back to the hotel, I was proud of Kristen. She couldn't have driven faster and she tolerated the windows being open the whole way. AND she was courteous enough to let me use the bathroom first at the hotel. Wow! What a woman... I am lucky!

Posted by Hello

No comments: