Sunday, March 20, 2005

What can you learn from Terry Schiavo?

I am not going to turn this into a political issue on my blog but I feel the need to comment on it. Her husband Michael is a heartless man and most likely a liar. He stated that his wife didn't want to live this way, from what I have read, almost 7 years after the accident. He is, however, commendable for not taking money. Numerous millionaires have offered him millions of dollars to "just walk away". He is obviously getting huge opposition from Terry's parents and siblings and the family are also commendable for caring so much. Then you've got what I think the main issue with Michael is: Guilt. I mean, think about it, you get married, for better or worse, sickness and in health and all that jazz. When you get married you don't visualize something like this happening. Medical science has now intervened and well you are stuck just like Michael. I am not trying to show empathy for the man. I just feel it is a terrible situation and something more positive could have been done.

With that said, what can you learn from this? I think you ought to sit down and write or document what you would want if you were in Terry's situation and let your family know where that documentation is. The sooner the better, if not now. You then protect a grieving family from losing it's privacy and it's freedom.

No comments: