Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Something that disturbs me...

Junk Mail or as I like to call it, "Environmental Spam".

I get home today and my mailbox outside my house is slammed full of crap. I mean the poor mailguy couldn't pack it any tighter with out a shoe horn and I got only one thing I wanted, my new Rolling Stone magazine. The rest of it was a useless pile of dead trees. I got Safeway ads with my address on them. Why does Safeway think I need coupons? I haven't in my life eaten a canned yam. Safeway already has that wonderful club card where if you just buy one more thing you get the next one for half price or like Sunday, they had an 8 pack of Guinness for cheap with the card when all I went in for was cat food and mini carrots. The card freaking works Safeway, don't mail me crap. You too Albertsons... where ever your store is located because it ain't as close as Safeway!! Or how 'bout Pizza coupons from those "off the beaten path", "Never heard of you Pizza" places. FREE DELIVERY!!! (just be careful) Those companies usually have a delivery guy, who also owns the outfit, driving a 1975 primered Datsun B-210 with expired tags. I wonder if the board of health has been to these places?

Then you get that heartfelt guilt mail. The charity stuff. Local Former Teenage Bed Wetters want your junked out car. They got a picture of them with it to. And its not in an envelope. Its a flimsy looking cardboard thing.

Or the other junk I really hate: Refinance Mortgage Ads. I got to hand it to these people who work for these mortgage refinance companies, they are creative. I got a yellow envelope from the "Reprocessing Dept." today. Woo hoo!! It looked so important. Just like the notice from the "Payment Reduction Dept." or the fake handwritten font addressed to me. Or my favorite, the one disguised as a lower than insane credit card rate reduction form. They have this idea that I am interested in their 1% interest, financial suicide loan to pay a third of what I am now for one year. Funny thing is, how would they know what I pay? Second, the amount they want to refinance is nowhere close to what I owe, either higher or lower. And lastly, they make the letters all threatening by saying time is running out, the Fed's only going to DRIVE rates higher!! And they amortize for 40 years? What happens in 1 to 2 years when it goes back to a fixed rate on a 40 year loan? You are screwed!!! Clearly, unless you are an elderly old woman whose house is already paid for, a state worker living in a box, or a homeless person, you know as a homeowner that this is old news. We were lucky to have the rates as low as they were in 40 years and they only could go up. But do they have to mail me these letters 3 or 4 times a day for weeks on end telling me that I am missing out on financial ruin with a interest only, adjustable loan? I am on that do not call list but occasionally those mortgage guys call me. I always say, my wife handles this stuff and set the phone down and tell her. Then I pick up my guitar and start playing. My wife isn't even home when I do this crap. I just wait. I had a guy on for like 7 minutes, it was classic. That will make them stop calling, when the same company has telemarketer that has repeated 5 to 7 minute calls of silence. Only thing missing is a baby crying and a loud tv or something in the background playing a rerun of "COPS".

I didn't even get bill today. I was kinda depressed I didn't get one. I was hoping for three things in the mail, magazines, Netflix "Crack" (we're so addicted to that company) and my water bill and all I got was crap I didn't even ask for or was financially obligated too.

No comments: