Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Retraction: Make Believe is actually pretty good.

My wife and I own at last tally like 1,500 cds. There all over the place. I feel we're good critics as well and are well knowledged about music. I left, Make Believe the new album by Weezer in the CD player, and the thing grew on me. I don't know what happened. I agreed fully with this guy and now I no longer do. It's catchy, you can humm along to it.

So what happened here. Beverly Hills gave us a whole lot of hope on how good the album could be and it first listen it wasn't. When I first heard Coldplay's A Rush of Blood to the Head album, I didn't get it. but then I couldn't and well still can't, get it out of my system how good that thing is. Sure, Weezer don't come close but it's worth a listen while you are working.

The second track, Perfect Situation is fantastic. Rivers Cuomo wrote songs like the Sweater Song, Say it Ain't So and that great album no one bought called Pinkerton. Why is it great though? The way I think he uses his nonsense lyrics to channel his emotions and ideas while sticking to a melody. I think there have been very few guys in Rock that can write to a melody. Paul McCartney in his Beatle days for one, Elvis Costello on a good day, Buddy Holly, David Byrne, Billie Joe Armstrong and of course Rivers. If you are not one of those people that just wants to hear words, listen to this song. The dude's singing along in the verses with a simple piano plunking some notes to the chords and then he use the "oh" through out his chorus here as a flat out sing along. The dude's got it. The critics of this album need to get bent. There is good stuff here. Is it their best? No. But what else is out there. We've all worn out American Idiot, Interpol's album and the Killers album.

The third track could have been ripped off from Duran Duran, who knows. I feel like I am in a dance club in the 80's but it kind of uses that Animals "Don't let me be Misunderstood" chord progression. The sixth track We're all on Drugs is kind of interesting. The 4th and 10th track, "Hold me" and "The Other Way" use some acoustic guitars. Weezer should do more acoustic. Butterfly on the end of Pinkerton is great. The acoustic version of Jamie is awesome too. These guys could really make some of their better songs more well known if they went that route.

It's not their best album, but its a good one and you can get through the album without skipping.

No comments: