Tuesday, April 17, 2007

This Is Friggin Torture


Virginia Tech School Shooting - Click Here for more great videos and pictures!

To vent:

I am bewildered by what happened at VA Tech. I cannot think of who would take a gun and be so selfish as to take that many lives out. It is totally perplexing and totally sad. I have been in and out of my hotel room all day and all I see are grieving kids. It reminds me of a time back in college when a good friend of mind lost her life trying to cross a river on a hike. I just remember going to school and all of us there crying our eyes out as we held a vigil. I was at the age of the kids here at VA Tech. One life or 33 is one too many.

I got in tonight to relax and every channel has got something to say. Some kid describing the shooter or some friends of someone who died describing how great the person was they knew died. Every channel, including ESPN... even American Idol, which I watched for the first time this year because I wanted to see what a freak Sanjaya was. They even had something to say tonight. That ever fake, "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and families of the victims in the tragedy in Virginia".

The switch is definitely flipped on right now. People are sad. People... strangers you meet in an airport walking by a newsstand have something to say. They are pointing at the headlines. Then there is the ever present gun control debate that people in the hallway of my hotel are having while they venture in from the cold from having a smoke.

Guys... well, guys like me... say they are strong when it comes to this stuff. I don't sit here and cry. Nor am I glued to the news on this one. Even though what I see reminds me of losing that one friend in college, I start channel surfing. I don't need to see Bill O'Reilly and Geraldo duke it out again. Not for this one. I don't need to see Larry King... or those hacks on MSNBC, recycling and rehashing everything that is ever going to be said about our nemesis Cho and his collection of Glocks. How he got the Glocks and how many bullets he shot. I don't need to see Hannity and Colmes interviewing a student and having them "take us through yesterday...tell us what happened to your friend that was shot... did they make it?" Well, maybe they didn't say that but... it's so jumbled from channel surfing that is what I hear from it all.

Just make it end... I know we can't... But please, just make it end...

No comments: