Monday, September 15, 2008

Just A Bottle of Water

Staying overnight on a business trip can be a bit fun. I grew up in the area I am in today, at least the first 14 years of my life and I know what the tap water tastes like. I want nothing of it.

So I go to the Coke Machine which has bottled water in it. A buck fifty...

All I had was a $5 bill. Great...

So I head down on the slowest elevator ever and get change.

Then... instead of waiting for the elevator to come back... I chose the stairs.

Ah... I got to the machine... exact change only.

Fuck...

I ran to my room and dumped my computer bag. My computer bag probably has 10 bucks in odds and ends change in it, mostly pennies. Stuff I toss into when I hit the security gate at the airport so I don't get taken aside and felt up by the TSA.

I found four quarters, all with some sort of gum or sticky stuff on them.

I ran back to the coke machine... Stick the first quarter in...

Fuck...

It dropped to the bottom change return thing.

I was like... Okay, I will drink from the tap and then just get cookies.

I stuck a dollar into the candy machine and then the second dollar wouldn't go in.

Fuck...

I hit return, got my dollar back. I decided to try the gummed up quarters... Wow!! Two worked.

I inserted a dollar bill and BOOM!!!

I got my cookies as a consolation prize. No water!!

Ah... I thought...

I grabbed my keys and scrapped the gum off my coins. Now I was ready for the coke machine.

I inserted the first quarter and it said I had 86 cents in it.

Fuck...

This thing, I thought, must be broken.

Well... I decided to let the dice roll and insert the second quarter... It now said 1.91.

Okay... instead of hitting the water button, I inserted the dollar, figuring the LED was just malfunctioning.

I hit the water bottle button and waited as the machine made beeping noises. I could hear the machine moving around internally...

Fuck...

I waited like 10 seconds and just when I decided to walk, thinking I lost my money, I heard the familiar boom of the water hitting the bottom of the machine.

At last... bottled water and Famous Amos cookies.

No comments: