Monday, December 27, 2004

Observations Part 3: The Car Accident in Front of You

My wife and I were heading to Lowe's this evening to look a bathroom stuff when I saw some red brake lights that seemed to go up, then go down. Turns out it was a head on collision between a Jeep Cherokee and a old Chevy Blazer. The Blazer was upside down. The thing had totally rolled over and there was a lady trapped inside screaming. Of course, I stopped to help as I am not a heartless bastard. I quickly said,"Hey I am on it, I got a cell phone right here" furiously dialing the number. But.... then to my shock, my cell phone did not go through! Two more innocent bystanders we're trying on there phones, and they couldn't get through. This went on and on.

The lady was trapped in the car, seemingly calming down but still in a big state of panic. Man, now my wife and I were feeling the adrenalin. She was very calm, assisting those involved, making sure no one tried to move the lady. I was helping cars pass by, still trying the phone. The drivers of both vehicles were wandering in shock, with the poor lady trapped inside. A whole 5 minutes went by before we got through to 911. A couple of rude people sped by nearly clipping other cars. Finally just when the sirens were within an ear shot, the lady trapped shouted the name of the intersection which to me sounded like a "Hey I'm ok".

The trucks came. The situation was being handled. And, whoa... what a crazy thing to experience.

So I got home, looked on the net here and found this scary thing on Consumer Reports regarding cellphones and 911. Click on the scary thing link and see just how safe you are with that cellphone. Run to someone's home, it is always the best!

3 comments:

Steve said...

Red State or Blue State, We all should be supporting our troops regardless of political agenda. Visit the True Soldier's Point of View on my links to see this blog.
I will write about this later.

Anonymous said...

When you see an accident, you don't forget it. I can remember the car wrecks and the bodies I've seen much more than my birthdays or boyfriends. I wish I could shake those images off of me, but I can't. I'm sorry you had to see that. I'm glad that you helped.

Steve said...

You never know when a tragedy may strike. Those unlucky participants will remember that day, and we'll remember that street we were on that day.