Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Yo Joe!!!: They are just as fun today!

Some 22 or so years ago I was totally into GI Joe action figures. Toys every young Republican child needs. I had them all. I even had the dude that changed color from white to green. One time, I had the flu and I cut all my proof of purchase points off the box and sent off for the limited edition Duke character that was featured in the Cartoon. It came six weeks later.

Remember the cartoon. You had your loveable GI Joe characters, come to life. Snake Eye's didn't talk. The Cobra Commander had a snake lisp when he talked through that silver mask. Remember when they put that hood on him later instead of the mask so he looked like a Taliban thug. Then there was Cobra Commander's keeper Destro. I mean, who was in charge? They had all the evil dudes in all one color, blue like a cheap rip off of the storm troopers, all white look, from Star Wars. You couldn't stand the chicks either when you were ten. Scarlett and Lady Jay. In retrospect, I think Lady Jay would have to hide behind the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy of our military. Then there was the evil chick, Baroness. She had the hots for Destro with her evil, Eastern Bloc accent.

When they had battles, no one died. There was no blood. No loss. Evil always was wrong and they always lost.

At the end of the cartoon, they had those cheesy public service announcements. Some kids would be riding their bikes at night with no light, and no helmets and one of the GI Joe dudes would help. Or there'd be a fire or some kids would get stuck on ice. Awesome!

Well, I discovered this webpage a few months back from EBaum's World. Someone, obviously from my generation, has updated those GI Joe Public Service Vignette's with a humorous take. I like to visit the site to laugh and I can't stop when I see them. Visit EBaum's and see these cartoons by following this link by clicking here. Must have Quicktime. Not all are in good taste, but they are very funny!

No comments: