Sunday, January 02, 2005

Album Review #2: Best album I heard in 2004 .. Sex, Love and Rock N Roll


Mike Ness, from Social Distortion.

Unless you are from Southern California, a punk rock fan or just a plain old freak at heart, you might have missed this album from last year. I waited until 2005 until commenting on this fantastic album from Social Distortion: Sex, Love and Rock N Roll. It has been 8 years since their last album . Mike Ness had two great solo albums, one of which "Cheating at Solitaire" is one of my all time favorites. Sorry, U2.... This album was better than yours in my opinion. (Hey, you had good songs... a close third to Green Day's)

So what's good about it? The songs really. Mike Ness proves once again that he is the most over-looked songwriter. The author of great songs such as "Ball and Chain" , "Prison Bound" and "1945". The reason why the album is good is this guy, Mike Ness, has made it to his middle ages, still rocking the same way, with the same formula. The songs sound simple but have the raw energy of a garage band but with the lyrical prowess of a great folk album. My favorite song on the album is the last song, "Angel's Wings". The beginning of the song, derives all the power. Just Mike, some power chords, sprinkle in some angst and a hard luck story of being down and out. And what is it when a punk rock guy like Mike, with his past issues with hard drugs and hard living starts to become a God-fearing man? A unique paradox actually not seen since the hey day of Johnny Cash and even Hank Williams, who are obvious influences to his style. The album opens with the real deal, "Reach for the Sky". A song about forgetting your past and living for now, with no concern for the future. I saw Social D live in late August in a small club here in Sactown down the street from the capital . Social D played this song live before I ever heard it on the radio and I was floored. Not literally. I was actually pressed against the front rail in my orange t-shirt. As if I didn't stick out enough already. Me, with out tattoos or body piercings, loaded on Guinness, rocking out with my people. Amazing show actually. I like it when my rock stars spit on me.
One other note of the album, "Footsteps on My Ceiling" is eerie ballad about reaching the bottom. Fantastic, classic Mike Ness song, reminiscent of "Ball and Chain". In fact, I think it is a great sequel to that old song. What makes the album for me is the use of the hammond organ through out. Imagine, an organ in a punk band, who knew. Go buy the album, you will love it. Posted by Hello

No comments: