Saturday, January 22, 2005

Contradicting Yourself

I do believe I have erred in my ways. While jumping on the political bandwagon and blasting the left and chastizing Mr. Newdow and his atheist views, I realized I picked apart a religion in a previous post that was Pro-God, even if it is sick and twisted and goes against what I believe. I noticed this today after taking my Porsche out for a Saturday morning drive in the fog. I drove around the area, stopped at Peet's Coffee and arrive home to put my toy away. When I climbed the steps to my house, there they were, like clockwork. This month's issue of Watchtower and Awake from the Jehovah's Witnesses.

So why the contradiction? Newdow, which I blasted here and here, seems to be asserting his rights afforded to him by the first amendment of the Constitution. All he is doing is saying, hey wait a second, it says here separation of church and state, why is Bush allowed to pray? (ignoring the fact that Clinton had the most prayers of any President in his first inauguration) Why does the pledge say "under God"? Yet, I am pissed when I am bothered on Saturday morning by Jehovah's Witnesses right to knock on my door and tell me I am going to burn in hell. What is the difference? Well....

There is none really if you believe in the Constitution, which I believe in, we all are afforded these rights to speak out and point out things we interpret as wrong. But can we go wrong in this belief? Mr. Newdow is saying religion has no part in government but yet is an atheist, which can be like a religion. Look at Webster's #4. Having no beliefs is a system of "beliefs". If Mr. Newdow truly didn't have beliefs, he couldn't exist. He'd have no rational thought system, he'd be like your pet dog. I don't think I am stretching it here. Saying that there is a separation of church and state is one thing, but saying a President or the Government can't do something like using a Bible to swear in goes against a belief system, not a "particular" religion. You see the majority of Americans believe in a "higher power". What the government can't do, is tell you to be a Catholic and persecute and discriminate you for being "other". Big difference. Yet, I slam the door and "avoid" Jehovah's Witnesses but I am no government and neither are they. So I am actually.... wrong at chastizing these people because they are sharing their belief system without prejudice or harm, even though they think I am going to burn in hell. Even if it is my right to speak out against them. They're sharing their viewpoint. Mr. Newdow however, is challenging the people by using the first amendment, even though our government is for the people and by the people. The "people" have spoken and are basically cool with the prayers and the swearing in, really, whether they believe it or not. Mr. Newdow is trying, whether intentionally or not, to open Pandora's Box and corrode the system of government by challenging these rights, these Constitutional rights. No one has the right to punish the people or the government by denouncing a belief system for a diffrent view, for political gain. Which really is like yelling fire in a crowd, when there is no fire. That mentality is wrong. Right or left, this is where we all agree. And I need to get over the Jehovah's Witnesses.


No comments: