Sunday, January 16, 2005

Observations Part 7: I just wanted some @#$%ing nails and lunch!!

*

Ever felt like this? Driving down the road and just losing it? Yeah, that was my Sunday here in Sactown.

I helped a friend in the morning and then got back during the first game to work on a ceiling project in my basement lounge. (I am one of few Californians with a basement) I am putting plank boards up. Pine like this. Gonna look cool when finished.

Well after about 15 minutes into it I discovered I had no nails for my airgun. Well it was 11:15 or so and I figured I'd get lunch to. So I fired up the Porsche and headed out. I went down to the corner hardware store, you know the kind where people aren't friendly and wonder why they have no business. I scoured the store looking for my airgun nails and they didn't have them. Maybe if they didn't stock so many bird feeders they could have shelf space for little boxes of airgun nails. If you had a staple gun though, you'd be in luck. They were well stocked if there ever was a staple shortage. I wasted 20 minutes on this and my only other choice: Head to the orange box called Home Depot. I was braced for a crappy experience.

I get to Home Depot and have you ever walked into a store where there was mass chaos. Everyone in line looked upset. I ignored it because I was getting my nails and heading to that new, speedy, do it yourself checkstand they have. Problem though, three store cashiers were manning it. Damn, that means someone either scanned the wrong item thus breaking the flow or an invalid was using it. Both of these occured similtaneously. And there was no real line. Just a couple of people lacking some organization skills. I took charge because I am sort of a dick, and formed a line. I scanned my nails and NO I didn't need any help thank you. Damn orange aprons wasted a half an hour of my life.

Hopped in the Porsche and I decided to take the freeway back so I can head by Taco Bell. Plus I got this killer MSD Ignition setup for it and I wanted to light it up on the on ramp. We had convertible weather so I popped the top and sped my way back downtown.

This is where the fun begins and if you are a regular reader, you will remember my drive through saga. ( Read it here if you haven't) I speed around a corner to Taco Bell. I pull into the "proper" drive way instead of being a dick and pulling in through the alley, cutting everyone else off. No I follow the rules. There is a black car waiting for a spot, followed by a gold van then me.
We wait. The black car get its choice spot but then we wait... and wait. See now the people in the black car, well they are heading into Taco Bell and I am sitting behind the Gold colored waste-of-our-Natural-Resources mini van. I wait... say a minute, then another, thinking there is a car backing out I can't see. Forget it, I attempt to honk and well... I disconnected the wire a few months back so my horn doesn't work. So the top is off, and I yell, "LET'S GO!!!" and rev my motor, setting off the alarm in the black car already parked. Scared to hell, the lady in the van goes into the drive through and proceeds to order. Cool.
Not cool... She sits there for 5 minutes. Ordering? I think. Maybe Taco Bell is slow... Nah it's the weekend, the smart high school kids are working. So I wait, and wait, and play with my clutch and lightly rev my engine while the line is stacking up behind me. Boulevard of Broken Dreams, played all the way through. Some more time goes by and all I see is hand gesters, like the speaker can see. After this mini eternity, the lady starts flipping out. I mean, she is screaming at the speaker box. I am like WTF? And she SLAMS IT into reverse, nearly plowing me down into the truck behind me. Then she jet's off through the drive through out onto the street. Okay... What the hell?
I place my order, looked in my rearview and gave the it's not me nod and moved on through to pay. When I get up I ask, what the hell was with the lady in the van. The girl told me she ordered and then complained that she was pressured by the guy in the car behind her so cancelled the order.

" Seriously???" I questioned.

"I don't know," says the girl," bad day I guess. Her kid couldn't decide on food either." It was now 12:15pm. A 5 minute stop at the local hardware store with out airgun nails made me miss the 2nd and 3rd quarter of the game. I hate everyone. UGHHHH

No comments: