Wednesday, February 09, 2005

We made it!!!!

*

Pacific Tigers get Top 25 Ranking for the first time in school history

They haven't had a football team since 1993, they always kick ass in volleyball, and they won their first game in March Madness last year. But don't look now, they're ranked 24!

Hailing from the armpit of California... Stockton, with a tuition higher per year than a salary one should expect after graduating, they are finally getting national attention for a great basketball program that produced a great NBA center, Michael Olowakandi. (Did I say great?)

I graduated from UOP 1996 and I attended every home game the last three years I was there. I had to actually. I got paid to be there. I was in the band! And I have almost paid all the money I borrowed back for that prestigious music degree I earned while attending school for 4 years there.

Seriously though, it couldn't happen to a better school. Academic achievement is going up. Students entering the school have higher GPA's and higher SAT scores, making Pacific a leading choice for students. (that can afford it)

The best memory of UOP Basketball I had there was when we played Fresno with Jerry Tarkanian as coach. The game was on ESPN and the Spanos Center was rocking. We had brought a white terry cloth towels with us and when Tark got frustrated and chewed on his towel, we made sure we did the same. ESPN got us very briefly on camera on a side view of the band, which was right next to Tark's bench, with all of us including Tarkanian, chewing on towels.

Go Pacific! Maybe we'll get a good seed in March Madness and we'll make the sweet 16 this time.


No comments: