Sunday, November 19, 2006

Elijah's Trip to Starbucks

My wife's got the flu and in bed this morning. The boy and I were awake and as usual at 7:30am in the morning, I start craving caffeine. So I changed a diaper, packed up the kid carrier and headed out into the fog.

The Hummer is great. We have XM Radio in it. I love their channel selections and the fact there are 4 stations in a row 47, 48, 53, and 54 that just play the right music. And Lucy 54 was perfect this morning on the way to Starbucks. It's like all the music from college on one station. It also get's me the chance to educate my son on proper musical tastes.

For example:

The first song on when we got in the car, Pearl Jam's Yellow Ledbetter. Good song? Yeah maybe but, I am like,

Okay Elijah, this is Pearl Jam, the most over-rated band of the 90's. You can listen to them but only in moderation and if I catch you emulating them, I'll dis-own you!!
Then the second song comes on, Soundgarden's Rusty Cage. Awesome pre-sell out music and I am like,

Okay Elijah, this is Soundgarden. Pearl Jam tried desperately to rip off this band's sound. Someday I hope you grow up and have a voice as strong as Chris Cornell's so we can make millions for your ma and I's retirement. You have the screaming part totally down right now!


We entered Starbucks and it was totally full of old guys blowing on their coffee to cool it down. (Hmm... that is why my Latte is piping hot!) They all gave me the stare. You know, the "Dude's got a baby with him and no mother in sight! What did he do?" stare. Another baby came in as they were processing my order. Elijah flirted with the barrista jockeying the espresso machine. I just stared aimlessly at the music selection. Would you ever buy a pre packaged music CD at a coffee shop? Not me.

Anyhow... on the way back to the car, usually there is a bum asking for money at this Starbucks. I swear it's always a different bum but I think they rotate or set a schedule or something. Anyhow the guy sees me and he is about to ask for money but notices the blue kid carrier and flips a 180. No one begs someone with a kid for money I guess.

Meanwhile back in the Hummer, Alice in Chains is blaring Down in a Hole on XM. I just turn back and say to Elijah:

Don't do drugs!! Drugs may make you write a song as beautiful as Down in a Hole with it's signature line, "Down in a hole and I don't know if I can be saved." Seriously, I know this song rocks, but don't do drugs.


Heh... I am a gonna be a pretty good father!

No comments: