Saturday, November 11, 2006

Single-Serving Friends

I did some travelling this week out to Colorado. I had to change planes midway to get to my destination. It was easiest to fly through Salt Lake City with a quick connection to get over to Colorado Springs. When I fly, I always think of Fight Club, not the part about the shelf of the plane ripping off (like that'd happen), but the part where he discusses single serving friends.

My friends on this trip were interesting:

On the way to Salt Lake City, I had the youth pastor. Dude was wearing blue jeans, t-shirt and sandals. Had a necklace with a giant cross on it. Carried a Bible on board and read it most of the trip. Real quiet guy. If he hadn't had the cross on I'd think he was gay. Maybe he was... who knows. I knew he was a youth pastor because before I slapped my iPod on shuffle he had mentioned it. Why he was going to Salt Lake City, who knows? Definately not a Mormon. I played Delta's new interactive trivia game with a few passengers around the plane. More on this later...

On the connection to Colorado I had a tough time. This time I had a window seat and it was not fun. Small, tight plane with only two seats on each side. So I get the window with a bad back and a super tall guy as a single-serving friend, who... was an aviation guy and like to talk about what the plane was doing next. Jesus it sucked... The flight was an hour late.. I could have walked out to the runway faster than the plane did.

The way back had the same kind of small plane but this time I had aisle. Who do I get now? Likes to talk guy... who's flown twice in his entire life, last time ten years ago!! He liked to asked questions. Not just asking what I did or how long I was in town but personal crap like, "So how does one do what your doing now? What education did you need?" He wanted details throughout the flight. Shook my hand when I sat down and shook it when I left the plane. Polite but...

Out of Salt Lake was the best. Plane was half full. The plane had the personal LCD screens with TV and trivia game. No one was around me. The plane went up, I fired up the trivia game and started plugging away. 15 people from around the plane joined. I was on too. I wasn't just on with trivia skills, it was total pwnage. I pwn3d the plane, winning on not only questions answered but also answering them faster, which brought up my score big time. I preceded win a few rounds as we travelled. I was on fire. I got up to 4 rounds and this guy from the back of the plane in 37C finally yells, "Damn Steve... stop it!" Best single serving friend yet...

No comments: