Saturday, July 02, 2005

Live 8: Bi-Partisan Outrage!!!


I am 31 years old. (I still like Frosted Flakes too) I watched Live Aid back in 85 and first became a U2 fan right there. What did I know I was 11 that summer. I pushed pause on our $400 RCA VCR my parents bought a a few years back on a few commercials while my brother was taping the concert. Our remore was attached to a cord. It was cool back then. Imagine the whole world united for a cause.
Granted there are huge political implications here today with Live 8 trying to give a message to the world and the G8 that Africa is in serious trouble with starvation throughout the continent. It's scary yet honorable stuff. These artist banding together for a cause. From what I have seen today, the artists, especially Bono, are pretty into this. It doesn't look fake and it looks sincere. On one hand of the political spectre you'll have a liberal attitude of needing to do this and a conservative aspect of finding the money to help out. Good, honorable stuff!!
Enter MTV and VH1... The whole thing today is to get the word out and not asking for our money though, I feel more inclined to donate to the cause now. Live 8 is trying to show the G8 that this is what the world wants, relief for Africa. I damn honorable cause. And what happens, music fans are glued to MTV and VH1 to see the thing. What happens?
MTV, that's what happens. MTV ruined the experience, the experience I sort of remember from 1985, the experience of good hope I learned back then. Music sold the concert and not MTV. MTV had the privilage to show the thing. Yet, they cut into the performance of a band, Pink Floyd, that many fans have waited to see live again with Roger Waters for the past 25 years! 25 freaking years and they cut into the 2nd verse of Comfortably Numb to tell us they we're going into the commercial break and how awesome Pink Floyd is and then, play about 1/2 the actual guitar solo because they realized they screwed up and then cut the song short to show us what? A break that had know mention of Africa and freaking Bam Margera commercial. Gimme a break MTV, you totally sucked the big one on this. For what? Money... your money. It was said today that 2 Billion people were watching the freaking concert. Granted we all weren't all probably watching Pink Floyd all at one time, however to show nothing on Africa and the cause and another freaking Bam Margera commercial. Guess what, the millions or even billion of us watching Pink Floyd don't need to see what Bam Margera is going to do to his parents next on the next episode. What a transparent performance for MTV. Bravo!
Forward my link to this post to MTV, let them know how you feel as well. Thanks!

No comments: