Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Some good music: Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson

I got into this I-Tunes thing and it is a riot (and it's gonna get expensive) I stumbled into a recent classic. The VH1 Storytellers with Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. I am truly a rock guy but for some reason I have written about Johnny a lot on here. Well, he was a rock guy first but... This album is a classic. I downloaded the thing for $11.99. 14 or 15 songs of fun.

It's sort of soothing yet compelling to hear two guys that had been around for a long time. They saw the ups and downs of being country music stars for 5 decades. For some reason, no matter what happen they always had what was true to them: their music. Willie and his beat up ole guitar and his gift for songwriting. Johnny and his voice. Can anyone ever sound like this again?

The album starts out with a Cash classic, "Ghost Riders in the Sky". There are duets through out the album but this one fantastic. The guys have very different vocal styles but yet, when you put the two together they mesh very well. You really get this in the 3rd track "Family Bible". The song nearly gets out of Cash's range but when you hear him try for those notes something great comes out of it. Some great classics here like Cash's "Don't take your guns to town" and "Folsom Prison Blues" and Nelson's "Funny how time slips away" and "Crazy". They really don't tell much about the songs and sometimes I wonder what Vh1 expected with the songwriters they had on there. Dave Matthews was funny on there because he was stoned out of his mind. But Willie and Johnny really didn't need to say much about the songs. These songs were stories. Who writes a song these days like Folsom Prison Blues with it's line "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die"? The end is great with Willie and Johnny playing, "On the Road Again"

These two guys were and well, still are bad asses. I know Johnny has passed but recordings like these will always carry on. Something about this music in this old house we live in. I can play Metallica, U2 or I don't know, one of my wife's bleeding heart chick-band singers and nothing sounds better than Johnny and Willie here.

No comments: