Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Observations Part 19: The political activist at 35,000 feet.

Our flight back here to Sactown was a bit late. Delays from fog in San Diego and record heat in the desert. We made it back safely with our livers still intact. (see post below).

We flew Southwest Airlines. Not at all a bad experience for a low fare flight. I mean they jam those planes full, have respectable promptness in loading and unloading of the craft and a friendly flight staff that will bend the rules to let your family stick together if your boarding passes don't have the same letter.

So there we were flying along three to a row. I had the aisle seat, my wife had the middle and the granola-like looking woman had the window. So we flew along. This is where one thing I remember from the Fight Club comes into play. Single serving friends. The small talk that develops from Southwest's lack of technology when it comes to in- flight entertainment. My wife, is peacefully studying her Japanese and I am reading a Golf Magazine and Motor Trend. You see, I really dig that Mustang, I just wish I could afford it. Then it starts... The freckle faced blond lady gets inquisitive of my wife's Japanese flash cards. The small talk starts, the lady lives in Sacramento and works in Las Vegas and my wife announces she's a teacher and well its on. The lady starts going on and on. My wife likes to listen to people whether she agrees with them or not. That's probably one of her best qualities. All I hear is leftist rhetoric that defies all sense of logical imagination. The lady went on and on about the world's poverty and starvation in Africa, and protesters not being able to protest Bush at some rally for fear they were a terrorist threat. Money grubbing people who eat $50 Filet Mignon meals at fancy restaurants, povery, anti-Bush this, anti-Bush that. The world's problems spewed out from a single serving friend on a short hour and ten minute puddle jump from Vegas to Sacramento. Woo Hoo. Couldn't she tell we were tired?

It got me thinking on the way home. Bush DID NOT create the situations regarding poverty in this country, starvation in Africa or the global terrorism problem. It was there long before he was. The crap that came out of this woman was non-stop and tightly sealed into an ideology of anti-Bushism/solution to all the world's problems. And that my friend's can be the real problem in the world when you listen to political stuff from both sides of the fence. Far and away left and far and away right all you sort of get to is an ideology that won't work because of the threats to humanity, the global economy or the safety for all that live in freedom by implementing each ideology. I really don't know what to classify this lady as, as I don't know a liberal that far left. But it's interesting. If you listened to her talk she sounded like a televangalist in away. Think about this one, pop on some Christian guy on Sunday morning, substitute "evil" for Republican Party, sub "satan" for Bush and Hillary Clinton or Ralph Nader for "Jesus" and basically they say the same thing, just from a different angle. The lady would not mention God like Jimmy Swaggert would because in her mind, God doesn't exist.

It's frightening world we live in. Pass the wine...

No comments: