Thursday, November 27, 2008

New Day, Different Song

I probably spend at least 2-3 hours a day playing music, practicing guitar or whatever instrument I feel like putting my hands on. (Wait! That last one does not sound so... um, like it was supposed to) What I mean, not only is there a bunch of guitars laying around, there is a harmonica, a trumpet.... and a few other brass instruments laying around (missing mouth pieces for the moment) so I always have something to make a tone out of.

Everyday though when I wake up there is a different song in my head. And it ain't just a snippet it is the full version in stereo in my head.

Sunday for example, the Beatles "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" was in my head and I hummed it all day long.

Monday was an odd one... George Michael's "Faith". Why this song, which I probably hadn't heard in years is beyond me.

Tuesday... The Killers "Sam's Town"

Yesterday... "Life is a Highway" by Tom Cochrane... which is really weird because I barely know what the verses sound like and those were in my head in full vivid detail.

This morning, "Well All Right" by Buddy Holly. Buddy Holly being one of my all time favorites isn't such a shock.

It's weird because lately I am compelled to pick up my guitar and start playing along. I learned the song Surrender by Elvis this way being able to hear it in my head and just know, it was in the key of G. This is something now I am concentrating on more and more. I wish I had this when I was say 20 and not, gulp! 35 when it could have been a more useful skill when I was getting my degree in music while nearly being tone deaf. I remember the teachers playing a chord on a piano and hearing a harmonic echoing in the room with them going, "Can you hear that?" and the rest of the class going, "Yeah.." and I would have a stupid look on my face. But it is weird, 12 years from the end of college, with a degree and music and I can finally hear it and pull the notes right out of it like they were colors as easily definable like red or blue.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blogs for some time now. Mainly the ones about your family. If you have any friends, I feel sorry for them. You are by far not a nice person no matter what you say.

c@d said...

I like to link this when the above happens http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/

Try and share that gift with Avery, it is something she may not fully understand it now but, down the road she'll be glad you did.

c@d said...

Deep breath, hold it... exhale slowly. :-)


BTW... you still owe me an email.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap what an a-hole that anon is.
Sounds like they can use a friend.
Lisa